There are two fundamental principles of Ayurveda that are helpful to remember when trying to stay balanced through the seasons. Like increase like and opposites decrease each other. Very simply at this time of year when it’s cold, dry and windy, causing movement, lightness and falling leaves. Counter these by eating warm, moist, heavy, foods, exercise slowly and steadily with a focus on strengthening the muscles, take steam baths and massage with oils and keep warm. According to Ayurveda the element of air and ether are predominant in nature and within our bodies. When there is imbalance we can feel impulsive, erratic, agitated, anxious, fidgety, have trouble sleeping, as well as feeling stiff, paralysed or spaced out.
Here are some tips below to help bring back the balance if you are experiencing any of the above.
- On rising drink warm water with lemon. (N.B Rinse mouth with water after to protect teeth from enamel erosion from the acidity of lemon)
- Massage body with warm sesame oil (cold pressed) in morning before bathing and at night massage the soles of the feet and scalp before sleeping.
- Food: keep it warm and moist, avoid cold and dry. Soups, stews, oatmeal, porridge, mung bean dhal are all good.
- Avoid caffeine or chocolate in the evening especially. If possible, cut out altogether
- Substitute caffeine with herbal teas. Try a mix of cumin, coriander and fennel.
- Nightcap: warm milk with ginger, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- Establish a routine to your day, especially a nighttime wind down before bed.
- Social networking, computer, phone: switch off an hour before bed
- Yoga: slow, fluid, steady strengthening practice, avoiding abrupt movements or too much jumping.
- Meditation: for at least 15 minutes per day
- In Ayurveda it is recommended to pacify Vata, be in bed by 10pm
If you have any other remedies that you are using that I can add to the list I’d love to hear them, please share……..
Resources: Dr Vasant Lad: The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies David Frawley & Sandra Summerfield Kozak Yoga for your Type.